How to Take Your Dog to the USA

July 25, 2018

DJANGO - How to bring your dog to the United States -

Last year Mike and I (Steph) took our dachshund Django on our honeymoon to Europe. The process of taking Django abroad was complicated, time-consuming, expensive... and 100% worth it. We had a great time with Django in France and Italy and highly recommend international pet travel when it's done right!

We outlined everything our friends need to do to successfully bring their dog to Europe. But what about our international friends who want to take their pet to the USA? Well, guys, this post is for you!

Here is everything you need to do to take your dog to the USA. If you have any questions just leave us comment below!

Bringing your dog to the USA for the first time? Here’s what you need to know.

Health and Wellness

Dogs may not enter the United States if they look sick or have a disease that can spread to others. This applies to all dogs including service dogs and emotional support animals. A U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent will inspect your dog to verify his/her health at the airport. If your dog looks sick or exhibits signs of illness or disease, your pup may be quarantined or denied entry entirely.

Does my dog need a rabies vaccination? 

Yes. Every U.S. state requires that your dog be immunized against rabies and have a valid rabies vaccination certificate. These requirements apply equally to all dogs, including puppies and service animals.

Although the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) only requires dogs NOT from these rabies-free countries to be vaccinated, U.S. state law overrides this rule. On rare occasion, the CDC grants permits allowing unimmunized dogs to enter the U.S. These dog permits are given only to US residents and visitors staying 30 days or more in the United States, and additional conditions must be met.

When should I give my dog the rabies vaccination? 

Dogs that have never been vaccinated against rabies must be vaccinated at least 30 days before arrival. Puppies cannot be vaccinated against rabies before they are 3 months old, so the youngest a puppy can be brought into the United States is 4 months old.

Adult dogs older than 15 months of age that previously received a rabies vaccination and that has since expired may be imported immediately after booster vaccination, without the need to wait 30 days.

What is a Rabies Vaccination Certificate and how do I get one? 

Dogs entering the U.S. need a valid Rabies Vaccination Certificate. This certificate must be issued by a licensed veterinarian and applies to ALL dogs including service dogs. The certificate must include (1) Name and address of owner (2) Breed, sex, age, color, markings, and other identifying information for the dog (3) Date of rabies vaccination and vaccine product information (4) Date the vaccination expires (5) Name, license number, address, and signature of veterinarian who administered the vaccination.

This seems pretty simple. Is there any other pet paperwork I need?

Some U.S. states require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI). We needed to get something very similar to a CVI before taking Django to Europe for the first time.

Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, or animal health certificate, is a document issued by an accredited veterinarian confirming that your pet has been inspected, found healthy, and meets requirements pertaining to travel. The CVI details the pet's information (owner, address, breed, markings, vaccinations), states the animal is in good health, and it must be issued right before you enter the United States. For example, New York requires that all dogs flying into the state have a CVI issued 30 days or less prior to entry into the U.S.

Check with your destination state’s health department before you leave on your trip to confirm if a CVI requirement applies. If it does, schedule an appointment with an accredited veterinarian at home well before you plan on departing for the U.S.

Are there any other health requirements?

Yes, skim through these to see if they apply to you and your dog:

(1) If you are traveling from a country or region where screwworm is known to exist:

  • Your must get a certificate from a full-time salaried veterinarian stating (1) your dog has been inspected for screwworm within 5 days prior to arrival in the United States
  • Your dog is either free from screwworm OR was found to be infested with screwworm and was held in quarantine and treated until free from screwworm prior to leaving the region

(2) If you are traveling from a country or region where Foot and Mouth Disease is known to exist:

  • Your dog's feet, fur, and bedding should be free of any excessive dirt or mud
  • Your dog's bedding should be free of any straw or hay, or other natural bedding
  • You should wash your pup as soon as you reach your final destination
  • You should distance your dog from all livestock for at least 5 days after entry into the United States.

(3) According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), "Collies, shepherds, and other dogs to be used in the handling of livestock and that are imported from any part of the world except Canada, Mexico, and regions of Central America and the West Indies may be inspected and quarantined at the port of entry to determine their freedom from tapeworm infection."

Can I bring my puppy into the United States?

Yes, but the minimum age requirement for dogs entering the U.S. is 4 months.

What happens when I arrive in the U.S.?

Upon arrival in the United States, you will be required to provide a copy of your Rabies Vaccination Certificate and/or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer (usually located by the exit door of the baggage claim). Always carry your Rabies Vaccination Certificate with you on the airplane, just in case your luggage is delayed or lost. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent will inspect your dog to verify his/her health, rabies vaccination information, and make sure your dog's appearance and age match the description on the certificate.

Additional resources

Planning an international trip with your pup this year or next? Check out DJANGO's international pet travel resources:

Hope you found all of this information helpful! Leave us a message below if you have questions or comments, and please let us know about your own experiences traveling to the US!

Leave a comment

Also in DJANGO Dog Blog

the best gifts for dogs and dog lovers in 2018 and 2019
The Ultimate Gift Guide for Dogs & Dog Lovers (2018 Edition)

November 19, 2018 1 Comment

Want to spoil your dog this holiday season? We've rounded the most popular dog toys, accessories, apparel, and technology available for dogs and dog lovers this holiday season. Every gift is unique, high quality and guaranteed to keep your dog's tail wagging well into 2019.

Have a question about one of these products? Want to recommend an awesome product that didn't make our list? Leave us a comment at the bottom of the post!

View full article →

DJANGO - How cold do dogs get in the winter? -
How Cold Do Dogs Get?

November 15, 2018

Just how cold do dogs get in the fall and winter months? Many people believe that dogs are naturally protected from the elements. While certain breeds are biologically equipped for winter conditions - Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and Bernese Mountain Dogs to name a few - most dogs are just as sensitive to the cold as we are. 

Here are useful tips and high quality dog gear suggestions for keeping your dog warm and dry this fall and winter.

View full article →

The best dachshund-themed gifts for everyone in the family
The Ultimate Dachshund Lovers Gift Guide

November 07, 2018

We welcomed our long-haired dachshund Django into our lives in late 2015. Since then, we've acquired a lot of dachshund-themed goods. Some of these wiener-decorated items have been gifts from family and friends. Others I've bought myself because... well... a dachshund lover can never have enough sausage dog goods right?

With the holiday season now upon us, we've compiled our all-time favorite dachshund-themed goods. Some of these items are super high quality finds for your home. Others are lower cost but equally adorable sausage dog accessories that would make a fantastic gift for any wiener dog lover.

View full article →