After a relatively mild winter, physicians and vets alike are warning that this will be a bad summer for fleas and ticks. Limited snow cover, shorter periods of frost, and booming deer and mice populations are key factors behind high flea and tick forecasts for 2017.
“This problem is going to stay with us and it is going to get worse,” reported Dr. Molaei for the Wall Street Journal. “Milder winters and no snow cover or frost means more ticks [and fleas] survive.”
By no means should you cancel your summer plans of adventure. Rather, reduce your chances of a flea and tick bite by taking the following precautions:
Even if your adventures are limited to your backyard, your dog can still bring fleas and ticks into the home. In addition to wooded areas, fleas and ticks can be plentiful in lawns and gardens. Reduce the risk of bringing these insects into your home by following these tips:
"Few people realise that only about 5 per cent of the flea population lives as adults on a pet. The remaining 95 per cent live in the environment as eggs, larvae and pupae which develop into adults," warns Bayer New Zealand vet Dr. Kirstie Inglis, reporting for Stuff.co.nz.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD) is a diagnosis that all dog owners dread. We (Mike and Steph) unfortunately saw our long-haired dachshund Django go through IVDD surgery earlier this year after suffering a serious back injury.
The path to recovery after an IVDD diagnosis is never easy. Dogs with IVDD always need strict crate rest, and many also need complicated and expensive back surgery like our dog Django. While recovering, your dog's movement must be restricted to a crate or pen, and he or she may not be able to walk without support. Your pup may also experience incontinence for several weeks and need help going to the bathroom via bladder expression. In other words, the recovery process can be difficult and daunting for us loving dog parents.
Fortunately, there are dog products on the market that help make your dog's IVDD journey and recovery easier. Here are 10 products that we found helpful and essential throughout Django's IVDD recovery.
DJANGO's Nolita Belt Bag is a modern, functional, and thoughtfully-crafted dog walking fanny pack. With a nod to trendy dog parents, the Nolita Belt Bag has numerous features that upgrade dog walking and outdoor adventures with four-legged family. From sustainably sourced fabrics to premium hardware to meticulous design details, everything about the Nolita Belt Bag is an upgrade from your standard accessory.
Learn more about DJANGO's Nolita Belt Bag here.
The popularity of raw dog food has exploded in recent years. More than ever, experienced dog owners are showing preference for the biologically appropriate, minimally processed, and nutrition-dense dog food. Many point to the health benefits of the diet. To name just a few, raw-fed dogs often have smaller and firmer stools, healthier skin and coats, better digestion, and fewer allergy symptoms.
We've always been incredibly picky when it comes to Django's diet. We only feed our hairy little sausage dog high quality and often organic foods. We tend to favor fresh dog foods and never hesitate to top his dinner bowl with wild alaskan salmon, boiled organic chicken, half an egg, or even fresh organic strawberries (his personal favorite!).
Recently, we decided to try We Feed Raw. This company is one of the more reputable ones in the raw dog food industry. It cuts out mystery ingredients and unpronounceable additives and replaces them with easily digestible, human-grade meat. Unlike other dog food brands whose recipes have endless and often unrecognizable ingredients, you can easily count and identify all We Feed Raw recipe components.
Here is an honest and in-depth review of We Feed Raw dog food. All opinions expressed are solely our own and are based on our personal experience feeding We Feed Raw to Django.